UPCRC Illinois Summer School on Multicore Programming - July 2010
July 19-23, 2010
Siebel Center for Computer Science
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
NOTE: The information below is subject to change. A final program and agenda will be published at a later date.
Scheduled topics and instructors currently include:
- Introduction to Parallelism and Multicore Technology — Marc Snir, UPCRC Illinois
- Explicit Mutlithreading — Marc Snir, UPCRC Illinois
- Parallelism with Java — Danny Dig, UPCRC Illinois
- Refactoring for Parallelism — Danny Dig, UPCRC Illinois
- Shared Memory Control Parallelism with OpenMP — Clay Breshears, Intel
- Shared Memory Control Parallelism with TBB — Clay Breshears, Intel
- Parallel Code Debugging and Tuning — Clay Breshears, Intel
- Parallel Programming in Visual Studio 2010 — Phil Pennington, Microsoft and James Rapp, Microsoft
- Vectorization — María Garzarán, UPCRC Illinois
- GPU Programming — Wen-mei Hwu, UPCRC Illinois Co-Director and John E. Stone, University of Illinois
- Special Lecture: Parallel Advisor — Paul Petersen, Intel
- A Taxonomy of Parallel Programming Models — Marc Snir, UPCRC Illinois
Labs will provide hands-on experience with various languages and tools covered in the lectures. Each afternoon lab session will consist of a brief introduction to the programming assignments, followed by independent work periods. Teaching assistants will be available in person and on the web to help with assignments. Open labs will be provided and supported in the evenings. We're also working to incorporate several suggestions provided by last years' participants. More information about the lab environment is available here.
Have questions about labs? Contact our lab coordiantor, David Raila.
Lab Education Coordinators
- Lab Coordinator: David Raila, UPCRC Illinois Research Programmer
- Java: Danny Dig, UPCRC Illinois Post-Doctoral Researcher
- OpenMP and TBB: Clay Breshears, Intel
- Visual Studio 2010: Phil Pennington and James Rapp, Microsoft
- Vectorization: María Garzarán and Saeed Maleki, University of Illinois-CS
- GPU Programming (OpenCL): John Stratton and Deepthi Nandakumar, University of Illinois-ECE
Please Note: This program is a one-week, intensive workshop and does not provide credit toward a degree program.
A more detailed agenda will be posted on the My Summer School Account at a later date. The following is provided to help plan schedule or travel arrangements.
All times listed below are in US CENTRAL TIME. Lunch will be provided Tuesday thru Friday for on-site participants. Evening socials and dinner events will also be available for on-site participants. Casual dress.
|Monday, July 19||Activity|
|3:00 PM||Welcome and Opening Lecture|
|6:00 PM||Social/Dinner Event|
|Tuesday, July 20
Thursday, July 22
|Lectures begin at 8:45 AM
Labs begin around 2:00 PM
Dinner is 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM
Open labs in the evenings
|Friday, July 23||Lectures begin at 8:45 AM
Optional tour of Petascale Facility at 11AM
Box Lunches provided a noon
Open Lab until (time tbd - 3 or 4PM?)